11 Dec Meet the Influencers: The Beauty Junkee AKA Martha Sta. Barbara
Martha Sta. Barbara also known as The Beauty Junkee takes a selfie at an Asus event.
I still remember meeting Martha when I was pregnant with Mateo. We were at an event and she instantly remembered me because of her PR work where she invited some members of the media to an event. I thought it was so nice of her to remember me even if I wasn’t able to make it to her event 😀
What I distinctly remember about her during that night, however, was when she shared that she wasn’t into whitening products because she loves her morena skin. I could not remember my reply but deep down I wanted to say, “Preach it, sister!” A huge chunk of the beauty industry (as in HUGE) is still whitening so when I learned about her stand, I wished there would be more Filipinas who would share in it. I am sure that through The Beauty Junkee, she has helped more women embrace their gorgeous God-given skintone.
Read on for Martha’s inspirations, beauty business favorites, and best foundation brands for morenas!
1. Apart from beauty blogging I am also the Executive Director of Digify Corporation, a Digital Marketing + PR firm in the Philippines. I’m also a gym creature in my spare time. 😀
2. I got started in beauty blogging because… I was in class one time (in college) and I got bored so I decided to browse a certain shade of blush online. It led me to online diaries that talked about the blush I was searching for and more, and saw that people in there just talking about makeup. I thought I wanted to be part of that group because I love makeup so I decided to put up my own, and the rest is history. 🙂
3. What you don’t know about beauty blogging is… It’s life-changing not only for me, but for others as well: I’ve learned to value myself more and become more confident in my morena skin in this white skin-loving country, and I’ve inspired fellow morenas to love their skin tone as well.
Martha (left) is also the Executive Director of her own Digital Marketing and PR firm, Digify. She poses with fellow beauty blogger and Digify Managing Director, Mikki Galang (right) at one of Digify’s first events. Mikki’s interview will be next in my series 🙂
4. My first encounter with beauty was… I think I was four-years-old. Yes, I started that early. I’d play with my mom’s lipsticks!
5. To me, beauty is having not only a good appearance, but a good heart.
6. Best beauty advice I received: Just use what you need.
7. If I were stranded on an island, I would bring Benefit’s Benetint (it’s versatile and it will make me look pretty in a flash), Olay Aquaction Moisturizer (because it’s cool, lightweight, and hydrating to the skin), Lucas Papaw (for cuts and bruises), Avène Eau Thermale Water (to refresh my skin plus it has calming properties as well), Daylong Liposomal Spray (it’s a very lightweight sunscreen that I can use on the face and body).
Martha (far right) on a press junket in Singapore with Pantene
8. I like to hoard/I have a weakness for… lipstick! That’s the reason why my blog’s original name was THE BEAUTY JUNKEE EATS LIPSTICKS. Currently, I’m trying out Pink Sugar and LA Splash lipsticks. Pink Sugar is a very promising brand and I like that they’re a local brand, plus their selections encourage Filipinas to be adventurous with colors. LA Splash I love because of the outrageous and vampy color selections (Raven and Komodo are my favorites!). I also tend to hoard foundation and I’m trying out Maquillage lately. Maquillage True Liquid Long Keep UV is a wonderful matte foundation for young skin because it’s lightweight and mighty long-wearing, perfect for the prominent skin type of teens and young adults, which is oily.
9. I have 2 lipsticks in my bag/purse right now. In my collection, I have about 90-100. In my bag, I always bring two: A red one because it’s my most favorite shade and a pink one for impromptu meetings. I also have a lip balm in my bag, Burt’s Bees Beeswax or Soothing.
10. My beauty icon is Bobbi Brown because I like her principle on makeup and beauty: Beauty is becoming the best version of you and makeup will help us achieve that.
11. You’re hosting a small party for beauty biz insiders… Name 3 people you would invite and why. I’d invite the following people:
Bobbi Brown (Photo from Twitter.com user Bobbi Brown) 16-year-old Beauty vlogger Bretman Rock (Photo from Instagram user bretmanrock) Michelle Phan (Photo by Kevin Scanlon from adweek.com)
- Bobbi Brown (How I wish!) because I want to talk to her more about her beauty and makeup ideals–I’m sure I’ll learn something more even if I’ve been reading her books a lot!
- Bretman Rock – This super, super funny Fil-Am beauty vlogger just made me enjoy watching vlogs again. He’s got the funniest tutorials ever and he does good makeup too!
- Michelle Phan – My admiration for Michelle is beyond her skills as a beauty blogger; she’s a very wise, sensible woman and she knows what she wants and how to get them. I find her transition from beauty guru to entrepreneur to be flawless and smart, and I’d love to learn a thing or two about business and passion from her.
12. Best foundation brands for morenas? Bobbi Brown, L’Oreal, Shu Uemura, Shiseido, MAC. I found great shade matches in those brands. 🙂